The Road of Apocalypse

The Road Book Cover
Every day is a lie, he said.  But you are dying.  That's not a lie.
And this is why I don't like post-apocalyptic or dystopia stories, but somehow I bought the book, The Road by Cormac McCarthy, years ago.

It's not just an Okay book, it's a terrific book, which means I read stories that I didn't really want to read.  It's not because they would be bad, but because I knew very well what might be in those stories.

The book is quite different in the writing style, but it didn't take long to get used to no quotation marks, and no chapters.  There are a lot of descriptions in detail, perhaps even repetition in some way, take water bottle out, unscrew the cap, give it to the boy, then screw it up.
The Road Film Cover

When I read those lines, my mind was flown with simple images along with desperation and sadness.  The style actually helped to read the story.

The film adaptation was equally powerful as you taking scenes in with bleak and lifeless motion pictures.  Those were really like what I were seeing in my mind when I read the text, if not even more accurate to portray.

Not sure if it's good or bad, but there was a couple more shocking scenes in the book, for example, what the man and the boy saw in deserted fire, what's cooked.

There were a little few details missing, such as they felt being followed, which was not clear until the man used the flare gun, still wasn't quite clear as the book did have an exchange between them.

But the last moments of the man with the boy were really emotionally intense.  And the very next, when the boy met another man and his family.  The ending scene seemed to close the story more clearly.

I like both the book and the film, would recommend anyone to read and to see it if you can take it.

Oh, there is one more difference, in the book, politely to say, the boy was even more scared like almost all the time.
Because we're the good guys.
And we're carrying the fire.

Comments