The Time Machine

Damn you, Time Traveler!

My reaction when he lost Weena.

I like science fiction and was long aware of The Time Machine by H. G. Wells in 1895, but I never got to read it, and almost didn't want to read it, because it only got 3.86 stars on Goodreads.  (I have come to learn that a lot of good books don't have 4+ rating)  I personally gave it a 4-star after finished the book, partly, I would give it one more, if he goes back for Weena.  Perhaps he does and stays in the Year 802,701 with her.

Another part of the reason was I don't completely agree with his conjectures about how the two species, Eloi and Morlock, come to the existence.  For all we know, human and every life on Earth could have died of catastrophic disaster and a portion of the numerous years from 800,000-something years have passed, then Earth is repopulated by alien lifeforms.

But that's just what I thought and that doesn't change how I felt about the book.

Before I read it, I thought it would be heavily science fiction, especially about the time machine, but it's not, it's more like what Wells speculated the future could become, us and the environment.

Whether I agreed or not, it really wasn't important, but how he told his adventure, his interaction with the Eloi and dealing with Morlock.  His observations on those happy little Eloi, were many delightful passages, I was almost as jubilant as them, if you don't read after sunsets.

The Time Traveler has imagined what future would be, described in the first weekly meeting in the book.  But when he steps out the time machine and meets the Eloi it's not all what he expects, in fact, it's far from what he does.  And then, the Morlock comes along.

Morlock, the name now is synonym to scary little devils in my mind, that would grab you in the dark, drag you underground through small shaft, then they eat you.

He does come back, but at a cost of losing Weena.

Poor Weena, the sweet and innocent little thing, I really hope she isn't dead and escapes unharmed, but I doubt that.  He must have gone back for her, mustn't he?

Comments