Almost FUCKED Myself

Just about an hour ago, it's the second time (if not more), my thought and what command issued were in disastrous disagreement:
$ rm *.vym vym/
rm *.vym vym
rm: cannot remove 'vym': Is a directory
The vym files were View Your Mind files, which was of mind mapping software.  I was in process renaming and rearranging structure and that command happened and totally fucked myself as subsequent response came up, confused and then
Oh shit, I did not!
Oh, fuck, I did.
There were just five files, but they took me two days to map, it was not too complicated, but I was just finishing one with great joy, and then cursing myself for my stupidity.

The command was supposed to be mv, not rm.

Staring at the screen for a while, got up, literally took a piss, then lay down and looked at the ceiling, really wanting to shout, but I didn't.

I got back to computer, and quickly googled [undelete ext3 files quick], which I had did a few times in every wake of my own idiotic errors, but this time I actually saved 4 out of 5 files, fortunately that one wasn't important.

One suggestion was extundelete, downloaded to /tmp, compiled and ran it.

I didn't unmount, simply couldn't, this is only system I am running.  So, I decided to try if it could still undelete while the partition was still mounted, which it did, just one file wasn't able to be restored.

Guess I was lucky or this would be another TIFU mark on my use of computer.

Comments