Beauty and the Beast

Beauty and the Beast Poster
After watching Beauty and the Beast (2017), no, just fives minutes into it and I realized that I knew barely anything about the story of Beauty and the Beast, and I thought I have watched the original animated Beauty and the Beast (1991), but the only thing I knew about the story is there are a beauty and a beast in the story.

The film has some comical elements, largely by LeFou (Josh Gad), an illiterate who spells Gaston (Luke Evans) — who are so narcissistic can even talk to himself in mirror — with two t's, and the household objects and a hair brush which couldn't talk.

Since I don't remember the original Disney's version, I couldn't tell if anything has changed, although the plots on the Wikipedia did show some.  Nevertheless, this version works well, and details like Belle's (Emma Watson) mother and The Prince's (Dan Stevens) mother, weaved into the story which shape the said characters.

The actors who portray household objects, I meant servants, are the most interesting parts, not about their acting or the interactions, the love and relationship, but because I only recognized Emma Thompson as Mrs. Potts, and shamelessly not even Ewan McGregor as Lumière and Ian McKellen as Cogsworth.  I was totally dumbfounded when I saw the names in the credit.  Let's just say the make-up is too thick to see anyone.

Did rich people in pre Revolution era-France really have plastered their faces and drawn ridiculous lines around eyes?  Fake mole and red lips, there must be a Marilyn Monroe in 18th century, and it's a man.

Gaston has to an excellent sharpshooter, with single shot pistol, shooting the Beast in the back twice, no misses, impressive.  If this was a parody, they can make Belle take the shots.

Although the plot is good, there still is one thing I wish were different, that is Gaston doesn't fall to death, that's cheap to kill a character.  Instead, the villagers throw him into asylum carriage as he still demands to kill the beast.  No one has to die and let the bad guy taste his own medicine.

Comments